Chicken Piccata with Pasta and Mushrooms
Tonight’s dish has an italian flair, and two of my favorite ingredients! Mushrooms and pasta!
- 6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets, (3/4-1 pound total), trimmed
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 10-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
This recipe was definitely very involved and cook time was about 45 minutes., but it was delicious!! It had such a great flavor! The process was kind of complicated, at least for me, so here are the instructions:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk 5 teaspoons flour and broth in a small bowl until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add garlic and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and reserved mushrooms. Toss the pasta in the pan with the remaining sauce. Serve the pasta topped with the chicken.
There you have it! Brett and I felt very gourmet tonight! Overall this dish was a keeper! I would definitely make it again. The only thing I would do differently, is let the sauce thicken longer; it was just a little watery, but the flavor was still there, and the dish was excellent!
Nutrition Facts Per serving: 397 calories; 9 g fat; 45 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 5 g fiber.