Tonights recipe is Chicken Enchilada Casserole!
Ingredients: (Makes 3 servings)
- boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (18.5 oz) Progresso® Light Southwestern-style vegetable soup
- 1/4 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 oz fat-free cream cheese cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons Old El Paso® fat-free refried beans (from 16-oz can)
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inch) 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat mild Cheddar cheese
This dish took about an hour to cook, prep time and cook time. It was actually pretty simple, though.
1. I started by chopping up the pepper (I used green because they looked fresher at the store) and cooked it with the chicken in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
2. Once the chicken started to brown and the peppers were tender, I sprinkled it with the ground cumin.
3. Next, I transferred the cooked chicken and pepper into a sauce pan, stirred in the soup, brought it to a boil, added the rice and cooked it, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Once the rice was tender, it was time to add the cream cheese. Stir it until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
5. The next part is the most fun! I spread about a tablespoon of the refried beans on a tortilla and lined the bottom of a 1-quart casserole dish with the bean-spread tortillas (I got 3 inch tortillas, so it took 2 of them to cover the bottom of my dish). Top this layer with the chicken mixture, sprinkle cheese on top, and repeat 2 more times.
6. To finish it off, lay the remaining tortillas on top and sprinkle with cheese!
7. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, and your done!
It may look like mush, and not like the picture shown on the recipe:
But it was soooooooo goooood!! It was so rich and flavorful and I was so surprised that this dish was under 300 calories per serving!! I went back for seconds after my first helping!
I would definitely make this dish! Brett liked it too, he said it was another winner! I am becoming pretty good at this cooking stuff! (Or maybe I am just good at finding yummy recipes!)
Until next week!
1 Serving: Calories 250, Total Fat 3.5g, Total Carbohydrate 35g, Dietary Fiber 6g, Protein 19g