… and losing weight is a plus!
No body likes the word diet. And finding one that is right for you can be a challenge in itself, let alone actually sticking to it. There are so many rules to follow and calories to count that most diets leave you craving carbs or have you going to bed hungry.
In order to be truly happy and healthy, and lose weight along the way, you must adopt a healthy lifestyle and stick to it long term.
I consider myself to be very healthy and active, but I also really enjoy trying new foods and indulging in my favorite guilty pleasures every now and then. I’ve learned that there has got to be a balance between these things in order to stay happy and healthy everyday. So I have come up with a list of some of the guidelines I live by everyday.
If you are looking for a way to adopt a more healthy way of life, try introducing one or some of these tips into your daily routine and you will be on the right track to living a healthy lifestyle.
1. Buy fruits and veggies that are in season. If you think that eating healthy food is more expensive, then look for produce in season and you will find that they are usually on sale. Publix is a great place to shop for produce because they always highlight their in season produce in their weekly ad.
2. Cooking at home vs. eating out. Have you ever looked at the calories in some of the foods you eat out at your favorite restaurant? You would be surprised how many more calories you consume when you are out to eat than if you were to cook at home. It is easy to recreate your favorite restaurant dish in a healthier way at home, without all the oil and salt in restaurant dishes.
3. Always eat breakfast. Eating early in the morning is a great way to boost your metabolism early in the day. On the go or in a rush in the mornings? Try stocking some healthy granola bars in your purse or bring along a packet of instant oatmeal that you can heat up once you get to work.
4. Eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day. Doing this will help you stay on track, ensure that you don’t over eat and keep your metabolism high. Try eating every three hours, and you will soon find your body adjusting to the schedule automatically.
5. Attack of the snack! If you’re in need of a snack, make sure to pre-portion it so that you don’t over eat in one sitting. In addition, try opting for healthy snacks like almonds, apple slices or celery and peanut butter.
Helpful Hint: Snacking while you are distracted or in front of the T.V. can be dangerous! Normally, you are not aware of how much you are taking in while you do so, and that can be detrimental to your diet if weight loss is the goal.
6. Dessert is good… in moderation of course. A lot of the times, when trying to lose weight, we tend to stay completely away from our favorite sweets. And if you are anything like me, then you will start to crave them more than ever and will most likely over-indulge when the time comes. If you get a sweet tooth, it is better to have a small taste, and be satisfied, than to eat the whole candy bar, and become discouraged.
Try introducing some new, healthier ways of including your sweet tooth cravings into your diet, which can be satisfying, without the guilt. Mixing chocolate chips into your oatmeal for your daily fix, or topping some fruit with light chocolate syrup and a little whip cream will do the trick.
7. Keep exercise interesting. Sometimes I can get bored with the same old gym routine. Try cross-training in other areas of fitness, like taking a spin class, going for a swim, taking a yoga class, or playing a round of tennis. It will make staying active fun and exciting, instead of redundant.
8. Eat consciously. Many times I find myself still eating even after I am full. Try consciously taking a few bites, putting the fork down, taking a sip of water, and repeat. You’ll find that you will feel yourself getting full sooner, without stuffing yourself to the brim.
9. Plan ahead. Staying true to your healthy lifestyle can be hard when you are out with friends or on the road. Before deciding on a location for dinner out with the girls, check out the restaurant’s menu to make sure that they have healthy options for you. Bring along healthy snacks if you are traveling, so that you are not tempted by chips or candies during your trip.
10. Find a workout buddy. There will be days that you just don’t feel like going to the gym. But you can’t let that become a habit. Find someone with the same goals as you and set up gym dates. It is a lot harder to say no to the gym, when you know someone is counting on you to be there.
All of these things are great ways to stay active and live a healthy lifestyle.
Life is about having fun, trying new things and enjoying every minute of it. There is no reason why you cannot enjoy indulging in your favorite foods, staying active in fun and exciting ways and live a HAPPY, healthy lifestyle!
If you have any tips for living a happy, healthy lifestyle, let me know in the comments section below! Would love to hear from others on how you stay healthy… and more importantly happy!
Disclaimer: I am not a health professional. Anything written in this post is strictly my opinion and you should consult a doctor before making any changes to your diet and fitness routine.