Strong and Healthy Start to the Week

I am feeling great this week! How about you?

Last night I continued my training for the Dirty Girl Mud Run taking place this weekend. I am doing a combination of cardio and full body weight training. The race is a total of 3.1 miles, so right now I am focusing on that distance and working on speeding up my 5k pace.

So I started my workout on the treadmill last night. I created the perfect 5k playlist, too. I was jamming out to these fast paced songs that have a great beat to keep me going!

1. Stay the Night – Zedd featuring Hailey Williams
  2. Counting Stars – OneRepublic
  3. Levels – Avicii
  4. I Could Be The One – Avicii and Nicky Romero
  5. The Longest Road – Morgan Page
  6. Give Me Your Hand (Best Song Ever) – The Ready Set
  7. The Other Side – Jason DeRulo
  8. The City – Madeon
  9. Let’s Go – Calvin Harris featuring Ne-Yo
  10. Sweater Weather – The Neighourhood – This was a great cool down song. It still had a good beat to keep me energized to start my weight training routine, but was a slower pace than the rest of the songs.

(To hear the playlist I created on Rdio.com, click HERE)

Photo Nov 18, 6 56 31 PM

My goal is to get to a 10 minute mile. I’m almost there!

Last night I also focused on shoulders. Gotta get them strong so I can lift myself over all kinds of blockades at the race! Here is what I did:

• Seated Shoulder Press
    • 3 sets of 12 reps – 15 lbs
  • Deadlift to Shoulder Press – with 12.5 lb Dumbbells
    • 3 sets of 10
  • Lateral Raises
    • 3 Sets of 10

And my bonus after stretching was 3 one-minute planks. Gotta work those abs!

Continuing on my quest for real food, for breakfast I devoured a Voskos Greek Yogurt with Honey over cut up bananas.

Photo Nov 19, 9 36 13 AM

I have always had something against the texture of Greek yogurt. But, because I am trying new things, with my pledge to eat real food, and the awesome ingredient label of this yogurt, I HAD to give it another try.

Photo Nov 19, 9 36 37 AM

Yup, I can pronounce all items, and there is less than 5 ingredients. Awesome!

Adding the banana was such a good idea! It gave the yogurt that sweet taste that it needed and added another texture to it that I really enjoyed. Finally, I have come to enjoy Greek yogurt!

How is the start of your week? Let me know in the comments section below! Would love to hear from you!

10 Comments on Strong and Healthy Start to the Week

1. S.A. Laminak
    November 19, 2013 at 12:15 pm (4 years ago)

Good job! I might have to add a few of those to my play list! 😀

• Jane
      November 19, 2013 at 12:40 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks!! Yes! They are great for keeping you running your hardest! :) Hope you like!

2. jaredrexclark
    November 19, 2013 at 12:47 pm (4 years ago)

You got to add some AC/DC to that playlist. You may not enjoy their music, but it is great to workout or run to. My week has started out great. I am finally starting to get adjusted to my new mattress. I have been sleeping better and hope to finally start working out again this week.

• Jane
      November 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm (4 years ago)

I can kick it to a little AC/DC! I’ll have to add that to the list next time! :) So glad to hear you are sleeping better! Let me know how your week goes after getting back into working out!

• jaredrexclark
        November 19, 2013 at 12:54 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Jane! I don’t know if I ever introduced myself last week, but my name is Jared.

I am happy to hear you can kick it to AC/DC. Their music makes any workout 1000% better. Turn it up loud and rock out!!!!

Thanks! I needed a new mattress badly, and I am sure that is part of why my body has had issues adjusting to the new mattress as quickly as I thought I would. I will get back with you.

• Jane
          November 19, 2013 at 12:56 pm (4 years ago)

Nice to meet you Jared! And getting good sleep is important to staying healthy too!! Please do!

• jaredrexclark
            November 19, 2013 at 1:02 pm (4 years ago)

Nice to meet you Jane! I know that when I am tired I am not much fun to be around. Last week I wanted to workout, but was dragging the whole week. I appreciate you taking the time to reply back to me, and I am not following you.

• Jane
            November 19, 2013 at 4:39 pm (4 years ago)

Of course! I appreciate your time for commenting and reading my posts! Would love to have you as a reader! :) Stay in touch!

• jaredrexclark
            November 19, 2013 at 4:58 pm (4 years ago)

Welcome and if you get the chance please look over my blog and let me know what your thoughts.

• Jane
            November 21, 2013 at 9:17 am (4 years ago)

Will do!