This past Friday, two of my favorite women in the media got together to dance off to my favorite song, with a surprise appearance from some of my favorite cast members from SYTYCD!
Michelle Obama was on the Ellen Show and was promoting her recent challenge, GimmeFive, as a part of the 5th Anniversary of her campaign to promote healthy lifestyles – Let’s Move.
And she preformed a dance with the SYTYCD members that I seriously want to learn!
(Check out the video here)
But in the meantime, I decided to be a part of the movement and #GimmeFive ways that my family and I have been focusing on eating better, staying active and leading a healthy lifestyle.
1) Registering for races together as a family. The feeling of crossing the finish line with your loved ones is such an awesome one and you feel like you have accomplished something great together.
2) Finding different and fun ways to workout. Keeping things interesting makes working out exciting and something I look forward to. ClassPass has really made this fun for the past month by allowing me to go to different studios and try new classes.
3) Planning our meals for the week. We have been using No More To Go for fresh healthy recipes and meal planning ahead of time. The meals have been wonderful and all feature fresh ingredients that are super yummy.
4) Enjoying outdoor activities over the weekends. Now that the weather has been warming up, we have been playing outside more, taking bike rides or going for walks instead of posting up in front of the T.V. We have also been heading outside more during the week now that the days are longer. It feels great to get some fresh air during the week.
5) Making lighter versions of our favorite dishes. There is always a healthy modification you can make to your favorite recipes to help cut calories and add some more nutrition to the dish. We have recently traded in sour cream for plain Greek Yogurt whenever we can and we can’t even tell the difference! I also recently made a lighter version of the addicting Potato Latkes that we love to enjoy during Hanukkah and they were amazing!
So these are our 5 ways we have been living a healthy lifestyle over the past 5 years! What have you been doing to stay healthy and active?
The First Lady is encouraging Americans all across the country to share what you’re doing to lead a healthier lifestyle! So whether on Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Facebook, or Tumblr, use the hashtag #GimmeFive and pass on the challenge to your family, friends and followers!
And while you’re at it, give out high-fives whenever you see someone making healthy choices and keep the challenge going!